To simplify, the steps to understanding and receiving salvation can be easily found in the book of Romans. Often we refer to the following scriptures as the “Roman Road” – for following the instructions of these verses can lead one to eternal life with Jesus for anyone who has been called by Him. Be encouraged to not only know theses verses, but to write the references to each of these verses in the front of your Bible and then underline each of them in the book of Romans. It would be very good to memorize these verses as well. Then, anytime someone wants to know just why they need to be saved, and how to do it, you will be prepared.
- One must first recognize they are Lost (having committed sin – disobedience to any of God’s commands):
- Lostness: Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”
2. One must then understand the consequences, Penalty, for that sin (punishment / or eternal life by Jesus):
- Penalty: Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
3. What is the Price for this eternal life?
- Price: Romans 5:8: “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
4. What Response should be made?
- Response: Romans 10:9-10: “9. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
5. What Security do I have of eternal life if I ever commit another sin?
- Security: Romans 8:38-39: “38. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39. Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
6. How do I live this New Life, free from sin?
- New Life: Romans 12:1-2: “1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Don’t live like the world lives anymore. Read God’s Word and you will learn how to please God.